Skip to main content

What motivates us?

We are often told: the higher the reward, the greater the motivation. But what if our motivation comes from something else? What if we aren't motivated by material incentive at all?

This video illustrates the "surprising" factors of motivation. But after watching the video, you may find that the information isn't that surprising after all.

People are more motivated by purpose, studies found. When given total autonomy, employees were more creative and displayed more motivation.

The idea that we are driven to perform better when given more freedom and autonomy is not new. But it certainly does seem to be a difficult concept for many leaders and managers to adhere to. When we are driven to succeed by feelings of purpose and mastery of skills, we are more highly invested in our tasks and more motivated to perform.



Comments

  1. In my capstone project, one aspect I looked at was motivation--I feel motivation is completely different based on incentives. Good video for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video in itself was pure motivation to me. I really enjoyed all the studies that were done; particularly the one in India-as it shows all levels of people in the motivation factor. My favorite idea from the video was " Pay people enough to take money off the table." I can't tell you how much truth there is here. Thanks for sharing this video.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Piktochart vs Canva

I have used Canva for things like designing business cards or creating invitations, but I had not yet used it for infographic creation. Because I am familiar with Canva, I decided to start this week's post by attempting to design an infographic with them first. Canva is great for all of your design needs but I found myself struggling to bring a useful infographic to life. I wasn't yet familiar with the concept of infographics so I wasn't sure where to start. I decided to explore the concept a little further and read Dr. Robin's suggested blog posts... which led me to Piktochart. This software pretty exclusively deals in infographics, whereas Canva is more of a conglomeration of any graphic design project you can imagine. So while I'll always love Canva for social media posts and creating unique postcards, Piktochart is my new go to for infographic designs. Piktochart offers a variety of beautiful free templates. The amazing thing about Piktochart is that they te...

Google Forms

I've used Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Photos, and Hangouts, but I haven't had the opportunity to use Forms so this week I am going to tackle this versatile Google tool. Google Forms is part of Google's online apps suite of tools that allow you to save, manipulate, and analyze data using version control in your browser. This is amazing for collaboration but can be helpful to individuals too. Forms is essentially a sidekick to Sheets, allowing you to make excellent forms in a matter of minutes. For this post, I decided to create a test Form for students. I work at Lewis-Clark State College in the Registrar's Office. We have many, many paper forms that students have to print or pick up, fill out, and return. Then we process them, scan them, link them to the student, and store them electronically. It's an improvement on manual filing and paper documents but it's still not totally efficient. We use Google Suite for our students' LCMail accounts, so we h...

Brainjunk

I read a great article this week called Brainjunk and the killing of the internet mind . The article author Danny Crichton talks about the importance of filling our brains with healthy, fulfilling content. It's so easy to find ourselves scrolling, giving into the content junk that fuels that dopamine cycle. Addiction to social media is a real issue that plagues users of all ages. Crichton calls on us to treat our media consumption like we should treat our diet: lower quantity, higher quality. This article really got me thinking about the importance of appropriate technology use. While reading about media and content I came across a quiz about smartphone compulsion. I opened the quiz with a lot of confidence because I don't feel like I'm a slave to my smartphone by any means. Sure, it's the first thing I reach for in the morning. A quick email check, social media scroll, and read a little news. And okay, it's usually the last thing I look at when I go to bed, when...